Thursday, February 26, 2009

Is our children learning?

Is our children learning?
(The famous blooper from then President George W. Bush)

The answer might be a resounding no...

I am a big fan of the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar (or SPOGG for short). They have a great blog at http://grammatically.blogspot.com/.



Seems a Wendy's employee made the following sign, and I quote:
"Are credit card machine is not working and We apologize for that."

First of all, "Are" you sure that "Our" credit card machine is really broken? Furthermore, what happened to your punctuation? Did "and" suddenly replace the period? I must have missed the memo on that one...

It really bugs me when simple statements like this can be butchered to this extent. Not that I am the God of grammar, and no one died and left me in charge of policing peoples postings, but come on! Doesn't this just speak volumes to the state of our educational system today? So sad...

By the way, if I made any grammatical errors on this post, I total recant the whole thing...

http://semicoherentramblingsofamadman.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Jason Beebe said...

I see these types of blatant mistakes all over the place. Proper spelling and sentence forming is becoming a lost art. I dread the day when the english language is replaced by leetspeak. lulz.